Tag Archives: woluwe-saint-lambert

Institut Royal pour Sourds Muets et Aveugles

facade Institut Royal pour Sourds Muets et Aveugles de Woluwe-Saint-Lambert

Now classified as a protected monument the Institut Royal pour Sourds Muets et Aveugles de Woluwé Saint Lambert was Built in Neo-Gothic Style around 1878 and has served as a  school for the Hearing and Visually Impaired ever since. It is located at 278-284 Avenue Georges Henri , Woluwe-Saint-Lambert 1200.

Location of the Institut Royal pour Sourds Muets et Aveugles de Woluwe-Saint-Lambert:

View Larger Map

Photos of the Institut Royal pour Sourds Muets et Aveugles de Woluwe-Saint-Lambert:

Jesus sur Institut Royal pour Sourds Muets et Aveugles de Woluwe-Saint-Lambert

Jesus statue with open arms close-up

Jesus statue on Institut Royal pour Sourds Muets et Aveugles de Woluwe-Saint-Lambert
Building of the Institut Royal pour Sourds Muets et Aveugles de Woluwe-Saint-Lambert

Woluwe-Saint-Lambert Windmill

Le moulin à vent de Woluwe-Saint-Lambert was built around 1767 in Esplechin, near Tournai and nearly vanished due to competition from flour mills. The passion of one man, Doctor Duthoit, saved it. Purchased by the doctor in the 1930’s and carefully restored, the mill went through its second childhood in Arc-Ainieres, in the province of Hainaut. in 1960, Doctor Duthoit’s widow gave it to the town of Woluwe-Saint-Lambert, where it was subsequently transferred. Twenty years later, another major restoration was needed after a fire, and the mill was rebuilt at its current location.

Location of the Windmill of Woluwe-Saint-Lambert:

View Larger Map

Photos of moulin à vent de Woluwe-Saint-Lambert:

Horses at the Hof ter Musschen farm

The view of the windmill from the farm


Frontal shot just underneath

The Woluwe-Saint-Lambert windmill from the back


Chapelle de Marie la Miserable

Chapel of Marie la Miserable
This Gothic chapel, whose origins certainly date from the 14th century, was modified many times until its restoration in 1970. It evokes the moving story – told by the playwright M. de Ghelderode in his play Marie la Miserable (1952) – of a young peasant girl who became the victim of a powerful person whose advances she had spurned. To avenge himself, the rebuffed seducer slipped a valuable vase into her bag, then accused her of theft. Injustly condemned, the young girl was buried alive.

Location of Chapelle de Marie la Misérable:

View Larger Map

Photos of Chapelle de Marie la Miserable

Chapel of Marie la Miserable from the other side

The chapel can be visited daily from 7 am to 6 pm.

Most of the furniture inside dates back to the 17th Century

Going around into its garden designed by René Pechère

Side of the chapel seen from within its gardens

Parc Malou

The Parc Malou with its 20 acres is the largest park of Woluwe-Saint-Lambert but also the oldest. Amoung other things It features the Moulin Lindekemale (old mill), The Château Malou (Castle), A large playground for children, a fishermen’s pond, walks along the rivière Woluwe (Woluwe river) and sightings of wildlife such as ducks and swans.


View Larger Map

Lindekemale Mill

Built downstream from the confluence of the Woluwe and Struykbeek, this former grist mill, mentioned in texts as early as 1129, used water from both of these streams to increase its power. In the 19th century, paper was also made here.

Around 1900, faced with competition from the milling industry, the managers opened the Mill Milk Bar a place where walkers stopped to quench their thirst.
Acquired by the town in 1955, this is the only mill to have survived the urbanisation of the valley. The paddle wheel was restored in 1994.

La Woluwe (river)

Marais du Struykbeek (Struykbeek pond)

The Allée du stade road crosses the park along the Marais du Struykbeek

The imposing statue of the roaring Lion by Raymond de Meester de Betzenbroeck

The road leading to tip of the large fisherman’s pond

the Malou lake from a corner

Closer look

View from across the lake

On the other side of the Étang de Pêche (fisherman’s pound)

Some of the wildlife birds living on the Lac Malou

On the lawn next of the Chateau Malou

Wild Bird Crossing

Chateau Malou

Built in 1776, as an engraved inscription notes, for Lambert
de Lamberts, a rich knighted merchant, this lovely Neoclassical
country residence stands among the foliage of around
eight hectares of property.

The chateau owes its current
name to one former owner, the Catholic politician and
financier Jules Malou (1810-1886), whose descendants gave
it to the town in 1951. It was transformed into a cultural
centre and since 1972 has housed the Gallery for Lending
Art Words which promotes contemporary visual artists.

ducks and swans returning into the pond

Path across the park

A large playground at one end of the Park called the Chalet Malou

Cook & Book

Cook & Book is an amazing new concept of nine very classy bookshops all grouped together where each runs its own specific theme. The novelty is that they are at the same time restaurants where one could come for a simple drink or enjoy a full meal while browsing for his favorite books. There are sections dedicated to travel, comics, personal development, literature, print media, children’s books, contemporary art, classical music and jazz, and there’s also a particularly attractive section given over to works in English.


View Larger Map

Left side of the Cook & Book restaurant and bookshops


Right side of the Cook & Book restaurant/bookshops

The French bookshop looks like a Left Bank café, with old books suspended from the ceiling.

Tables in the back where you can enjoy a meal or a drink

View of both the restaurant and book section

All the bookstores are linked and one can go from theme to theme

The interiors are designed to reflect the books on sale as recipe books are displayed in an Italian-style trattoria with an open kitchen, tiled floor and Fiat 600 parked next to the counter.

Food and drinks are available in all nine bookstores

The comfortable English bookshop occupies a carpeted room with eccentric armchairs and lamps decorated with Union Jack flags.

Home improvement and gardening part

Classical music and jazz themed bookstore

For the travel bookshop, the designers have reproduced an American lunchroom adding lampshades made from Warhol-style Campbell soup cans.

Replica aluminum caravan

People can even go inside to enjoy a meal

A single table is inside where a maximum of four people can enjoy one of the most eccentric eating experiences in Brussels.

Comic strip bookstore

The largest restaurant section of all the bookstores is just after

Literature bookstore

Contemporary Art

On my way out…

Open seven days days a week from early 08:00 until 22:00, Thursday 00:00 and Sundays 20:00.