L’église Saint-Joseph or in English the Saint-Joseph Church is the core and heart of the “Quartier Leopold”, this national monument celebrating Belgium’s patron saint, was built between 1842 and 1849 and was designed by T.-F. Suys, architect of the “Civil society for the Extension and Embellishment of Brussels” which was at the origin of this vast extramural urban expansion project.
The Neo-Renaissance façade was simultaneously inspired by famous Italian edifices and by classical French architecture.
The inside of the church presents a basilica-like layout
Closer look from down the aisle
Virgin Mary statue
Featured in its flat chevet is a large painting by A. Wiertz, “The Holy Family”